TRY: Egyptian Bazaar

92 Erzak Ambari Street, Istanbul, Turkey
Mon-Sat: 8.00am - 7.00pm
Sun: 9.30am - 7.00pm

I've realised that I didn't go to many places during my second visit to Istanbul, Turkey as most of the time was spent wandering about at familiar places with my sister. One place that I finally got to visit is one of the most famous covered shopping complex that's affectionately known to many as Spice Bazaar.


The easiest way to get to the bazaar via public transport is to take the T1 Kabatas - Bagcilar tram and drop off at Eminonu.



The construction of the bazaar started in 1597, but it was completed only 67 years later in 1664 through the revenues from the Ottoman eyalet (lit. province) of Egypt.

The building is part of the New Mosque complex.

The moment I stepped into the building, I could smell the aroma of the various spices wafting in the air.



The erection of the memorial began towards the end of 1988, but it was only on 3 August 1996 that it was officially opened to the public.

Magi caught my attention, which is a soup spice mixture containing over twenty ingredients.

Which tea do you fancy?
Without doubt, the bazaar was, and still is, an important centre for spice trading in the city. However,  there are other shops selling various goods coming to the scene in the recent years.

Caviar, anyone?

I think that's the only shop with Japanese writing.

I particularly love tea sets.

I didn't spend too long inside as the plan was to go to Camlica Hill at the Asian side of Istanbul. As I walked out of the building, I was tempted by a different aroma: grilled corns.


According to some sources, some of the reputable spice sellers include Arifoglu, Ayfer Kaur, Malatya Pazari, Ucuzcular and Urfa Pazari. Do remember to haggle!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls