QAT: Souq Waqif

Al Souq Street, Doha, Qatar

Dating back a few hundred years, Souq Waqif (lit. standing market) is one of the main attractions in the capital city of Qatar with its plethora of traditional garments, handicrafts and spices. In addition, there are multi-cuisine restaurants and cafés to satiate your palate, as well as shisha lounges for those who prefer to relax that way.


During our stay in Doha, we visited Souq Waqif a few times. On average, it takes about 20 minutes to walk from The Royal Riviera Hotel to the market.


"Fly like a bird, take to the sky. I need you now, Lord, carry me high~"


Tea Time is a fast food chain selling burgers, sandwiches, etc.


The flag of Qatar is the only national flag having a width more than twice its height.


Al Jasra Boutique Hotel is a 5* property by Tivoli Hotels & Resorts.
I didn't take a lot of photos at the market during the day, but I do want to highlight the existence of a small eatery run by five entrepreneurial middle-aged ladies called Al Jasra Traditional Food. Do support them!

The eatery is hidden in an inconspicous alley parallel to Ali Bin Abdullah Street.


Evening exploration proved to be more pleasant when the weather was much cooler.

Don't forget to make a wish at the wishing well near the entrance of the main building.

Pony riding is available for kids.


I bought a melon soda drink, which turned out to be too sweet for my liking.
Let's take a look at what the main building has got to offer.



Those crunchy snacks are really big in terms of size.


Escaping from the maze-like market can be quite a challenge.


Does 'rosebud' remind anyone of the original game of The Sims?


If you've got a sweet tooth, I'm sure those Middle Eastern sweets can be quite tempting.


I'm not sure how many perfume shops are there, but I only saw two.
Stepping out of the building, we came across lots of shops selling handicrafts.


I was drawn by the nice aroma of Arabic incense.

I'm pretty sure that's not sold... Or is it?

Look at those dainty objects!
Walking further led us to the area where there are lots of eateries.


Fancy the national dish of Iraq: masgouf (grilled carp)?

Those Turkish food sold on the cart are expensive.
We decided to check out one of the smaller buildings.



Arabian oryx, Qatar's national animal, is a species of antelope that thrives in desert environment.


Camel soft toys, anyone?


I wonder how will those shops can survive since there's not much traffic there.
Souq Waqif Art Centre not only features local and global art pieces, but also offers classes and demonstrations.


Full concentration!

And so I tried dimming the brightness of my phone camera~
One area of the market is dedicated to the sale of animals. There are numerous shops seeling birds of different species and colours.




Did you know that canaries got their name from the place they originated from: Canary Islands?



Meaty birds!


Not a fan of birds? There are others for you to adore.


Terrapins always remind me of my childhood.



The moment I saw those little dogs, I was thinking whether they were feeling sad.
Here are the last few photos taken near the area before heading back to the hotel.

Al Koot Fort, a historical military fortress built in 1927, is now a museum.

I was really surprised to see a cinema at Souq Waqif.

Take note that most shops operate from 10.00am to 12 noon and 4.00pm till 10.00pm. Restaurants, in general, operate longer hours.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls