SIN: OFF / ON Exhibition @ National Museum of Singapore [till 30 October 2022]

93 Stamford Road, B1/F National Museum of Singapore, Singapore
Daily: 10.00am - 7.00pm

Hi, folks! Hope everyone is doing fine. I've yet to be able to blog regularly again, but for today, I'm going to put up photos on an ongoing exhibition that truly captivated this highly nostalgic person who very much prefer to live in the late 1980s to 1990s. Titled "OFF / ON: Everyday Technology That Changed Our Lives, 1970s – 2000s", the immersive showcase can be found at the basement level of Singapore's oldest museum until the end of October 2022.


---
SIN: OFF / ON Exhibition @ National Museum of Singapore [till 30 October 2022]
                                                                                                              <YOU ARE HERE!>
SIN: Upper Seletar Reservoir
SIN: Bedok Reservoir
SIN: Pandan Reservoir

---

Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents and children aged 6 years and below of any nationality enjoy free admission to all galleries at the museum. For adult foreigners, each ticket price for this special exhibition costs S$18.00.



The history of the museum dates back to 1849 when it started out as a section of a library at the then-called Singapore Institution. After several relocations, the museum moved to its current site in 1887.



Take note that while the exhibition runs from 10.00am to 7.00pm daily in general, the gallery will be closed earlier on Fridays, Saturdays and other selected days in preparation for An Escape Through Time, a live escape room game experience, with the last admission at 5.30pm.


Step into a retro office, which certainly feels like ages ago, especially in light of the current situation where remote working is becoming commonplace. 



Typewriters aside, how many of you're still using hole punchers to organise documents in a folder?


I remember my finger getting injured so badly when using a typewriter when I was a little boy.
When was the last time you used a typewriter, if ever?


How many of you feel like humanity has advanced way too fast? I do.

It so happened to show one of my travel buddy's birthday. He was with me at the museum.

Lit. Together we succed. Let's go, Singapore. Let's put in a bit more effort.

Next up is a small section on computers.



VisiCalc, the first ever spreadsheet computer program for PCs, was designed for Apple II.
After that, there's another small section dedicated to telephones of the past.


How many of those have you used before?


I remember having this at home for a period of time.
I won't say I miss those rotary dial phones, but it's certainly fun to be able to play with it again.


Apat from a minor injury from a razor blade because of a rough barber, one of the most memorable things that happened on one those bygone days was that an air-conditioning unit at a particular barber shop had a mini explosion when I was getting a haircut.



I always love old-school coffee shops. I can count with the fingers of one hand the number of times I get something from Starbucks and the likes in a year.

Coffee or tea for you?


As early as 1868, over 374,000 cartons of Nestlé Milkmaid condensed milk were sold.

I really can't remember when was the last time I drank Green Spot, an orange-based soft drink that was born in the USA in 1934.


Are you Team Milo or Team Ovaltine?

There's just something special about bottled soft drinks compared to their canned counterparts.
Step into an era before smartphones were omnipresent.



There's an interactive panel that simulates sending a message via a phone or a pager.
Try sending an SMS and you should hear the standard Nokia SMS tone. How nostalgic!



I took a short video clip of the pager function.


How would you feel when you see your first handphone, the classic, indestructible Nokia 3310, being enshrined in a museum? Those were the days when we could type messages without looking at the keypad. I was also reunited with a Motorola pager that my father used to use at work.



Fancy taking a family photo?


Why is a darkroom, one that's used to process photographic films, uses red lights?


Darkroom printing paper has a sensitivity to blue light, so that particular colour in the visible light spectrum has to be avoided by using red or amber lights.


The donor of that Olympus PEN camera spent about S$200.00 to get it in the 1970s.

I can still remember the older versions of Koko Krunch commercial ads.



"Groove to the beats of yesteryears with a classic cassette player", says an information panel at the setup of a living room.


It's not difficult to complete many modern games, but how many of those retro games have you managed to complete or even reached the final stage?


Swat those blood-sucking mosquitoes! 

A Malaysian friend of mine exclaimed, "How can they put all these in a museum? Many houses in Malaysia are still as such!"


Ahh, those days of unwinding an audio cassette tape using a pencil...


I can't play a Rubik's Cube for nuts, but I still enjoy playing Monopoly till now.


Why not have a go at Pocket of Fun, a reimagined classic game?



The game draws an inspiration from one of Tomy Pocketeers games.
Can you get 80 points?


The museum is appealing to the public to contribute technological icons from the 2000s onwards for future exhibitions.



I think I should pick up those retro Pokémon games again.


I'm a PlayStation freak, but I've never owned a PSP in my life.
Before leaving, try doing a mini quiz to see what's your icon.



Yes, it describes me perfectly.
If you're interested in the escape room game that I briefly mentioned above, it costs $15.00 per person for groups of 3 to 6 participants, or S$12.00 per person for groups of 7 to 10 participants. Have fun!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Toronto Downtown