SIN: Dale Chihuly: Glass in Bloom [till 3 October 2021]

18 Marina Gardens Drive, Gardens by the Bay, Singapore

Dale Chihuly is an American artist best known in the field of blown glass, "moving it into the realm of large-scale sculpture". For about 5 months in 2021, the exhibition at Gardens by the Bay marks his first major garden exhibition in Asia. This exhibition is now over, and as much as I'd like to post this entry earlier, I'm sorry that I forgot about it when life got really tough last year. Still, for the record, I shall upload a few photos that I took.


---
SIN: Dale Chihuly: Glass in Bloom [till 3 October 2021] <YOU ARE HERE!>
SIN: Upper Seletar Reservoir
SIN: Bedok Reservoir
SIN: Pandan Reservoir

---

Chihuly's various installations were spread across different parts of the national garden. Having a vibrant range of colours, Float Boat was one of the few non-ticketed installations placed on the scenic Dragonfly Lake. The first time Chihuly filled boats with glass spheres was back in 1995 in Finland.


Admittedly, I only had a quick visit to the Outdoor Gardens, thanks to the free ticket that I could apply for as an educator. There were more installations inside the big conservatories: Flower Dome and Cloud Forest  



A quintessential example of Chihuly's daring approach, Setting Sun was created to debut at Gardens by the Bay. Approximately 4.27 m by 4.27 m in dimension, it's a representation of the almighty fiery ball with red and yellow flame-like tentacles.



Did you know that Chihuly's first sun sculpture was created in 1998? 
Decked out in hues of white, opal and rich blue, Moon was created way earlier for the Chihuly in the Light of Jerusalem exhibition in Israel in 2000.



That was actually my first time walking around that part of Gardens by the Bay.


I certainly wasn't expecting to see baobab trees at all.


I recall stopping by for a while to admire the colours of that rock.

 

The Mille Fiori (lit. A Thousand Flowers) series demonstrates Chihuly's penchant for organic, free-flowing forms that evoke the natural world, even though he mentioned that he wasn't so much trying to replicate plants.



With a small waterfall in the background, Yellow Herons somehow makes me think of sea serpents.


Placed on a circular pool, Ethereal White Persians captivated me a lot.


Palazzo Ducale Tower is one of the first int he Tower series that was conceived in the 1990s.



Not far from the icy-white tower were the beautiful Turquoise Reeds, appearing to emerge from the rocks.


Red Bamboo Reeds is another work of art under the Reeds series.


I said hello to a lizard that was stoning for a few minutes. Perhaps it was posing for me to take good photos of it.


The Web of Life section of the Outdoor Gardens features larger-than-life topiary animals.

How many of you played Donkey Kong before?

I believe that's a pangolin next to the penguin.

Given its colours, Pearl and Obsidian Fiori looks so sinister and cool at the same time to me.



Do you prefer the aforementioned Palazzo Ducale Tower or the following Sea Blue and Green Tower?


It's said that Chihuly's Chandeliers are often hung in unusual spaces. His Orange Hornet Chandelier was hanging off the green tunnel.



Tiger Lilies is the last exhibit that I saw the other day.


'Twas a short visit, but I really enjoyed Chihuly's work.



Sometimes I wonder if otter is the new mascot of Singapore. Haha!
Did you manage to catch Dale Chihuly: Glass in Bloom last year? Planned to run from 1 May to 1 August, it was eventually extended to 3 October 2021 due to its popularity.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Toronto Downtown