LAO: Kuang Si Falls

Kuang Si Waterfall Park, Luang Prabang, Laos
Daily: 8.00am - 5.30pm

After looking at all the Asiatic black bears, many of them were sleeping tightly, it was time to move forward to witness the beauty of the Kuang Si Falls. The water collects in turquoise blue pools as it flows downstream. The stunning colour is due to the high calcium carbonate content that reflects light in a particular way to create such a wonder.


It all began with a leisurely walk from Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre. To recap, the entrance fee to the Kuang Si Waterfall Park is LAK 25,000 (~S$3.40) at the point of writing.


Two alternative spelling: Kouang Si and Kuang Xi


A species related to morning glory, perhaps?
Such a lanky tree~


Our view finally opened to the wondrous colours everyone has been talking about. We saw different shades of blue at different pools.



Honestly, I'd love to jump into the pool too! :P


Somehow I feel thirsty looking at this picture. Ignore me... xD


I suppose it'd be nice to sit there and have a cup of coffee~

Thumbs up for the view!


My BFF, I and the friendly Japanese couple! :)
Originally I'd planned to take a dip, which explains why I wore such a short and slippers. 

Prior to the trip, I wonder when was the last time I saw a water mill?

We finally reached the main waterfall, standing at 60 m. Legend has it that the falls were formed when a wise sage dug deep into the earth, causing the underground water to flow out. Thereafter, a beautiful golden deer made its home under a big rock that protruded from the falls. The local word kuang means 'deer', while si means 'dig'.


Such a beauty! <3

Thanks to our guide who took this awesome picture for us!
If you think the adventure ended there, you're mistaken. I thought that was the end too, but apparently our guide told us that we could hike up the main fall. As a trekker, I certainly lived up to the challenge, although I didn't have my shoes. Do take note that there's a section of the trail that requires you to hike up using the roots of a huge tree.


Pretty steep!


We conquered the challenging part in no time!

As a person who suffers from acrophobia, I've always told myself that I'm not going to lose to my fear of heights. There are times when I feel like I can't go further, but so far I've completed all the treks that I went for. As there weren't many people on top of the main fall, it was pretty serene there.



No branches broke that afternoon. Haha...


OMG, so scarily tall...

Jungle girl wannabe! xP

Sadly, no campfire is allowed there.
As we didn't want to donate more blood to the mosquitoes, we decided to go down after taking enough deep breaths and pictures.


Yay, there are steps!

Mission accomplished! :D
Our guide congratulated us for making it back alive and walked us back to where the van was parked.

In full glory~


There was one more destination to go before we eventually went back to town. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls