BEL: Gorky Park

Frunze Street, Minsk, Belarus

How many Gorky Parks are there in the world? I know of two: one in Moscow, Russia and obviously one in the capital city of Belarus that I walked through with my BFF. The latter was established in 1800, then called Governor's Garden before it was renamed during the Soviet era.


Armed with a map, we did a self-guided walking tour from our accommodation of choice: Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre.


We crossed Svislach River to get to the park.


All I needed were some Christmas decorations on those trees.

A wild... I mean tame Pikachu appeared!
Say hello to a bunch of bipeds!


Not cold for all of you, eh?

I suppose there are lots of activities that can be done at the park, but not during winter.


Can you see anything in the background that caught my interest?
There are amusement rides scattered throughout the park, but none of them was operational when we were there. 


I can never avoid the temptation of Ferris wheel.


Let's take a quick look at the price of each ride.

During summer, children can look forward to pony rides around the park.



Maksim Gorky, a renowned Soviet writer, was born in 1868 and passed away in 1936.
Seeing the big bridge meant we'd be out of the park to the main road soon.


My hands were trembling when I took these photos due to the chilly wind.

Is that a radio tower?
Two days later, the temperature increased quite a bit. Here's a glimpse of the park when most of the snow had melted.



I didn't notice those padlocks at all on my first visit to the park.
There's an indoor skating rink that used to be frequented by the first president of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko.


There's also a planetarium at the park, which we didn't manage to see that in person.

Comments

Popular Posts

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218