FJI: Lavena Coastal Walk

Eastern Area, Taveuni, Fiji

Adventure tours can be easily booked at Aroha Taveuni, which does not take any commissions at all. That was what I exactly did when I reached the resort. Within less than an hour after arrival, my BFF and I found ourselves seated comfortably in a car to go to Lavena Coastal Walk on the eastern end of the island.


We paid FJD 150.00 (~S$97.80) as listed at the resort to hire a car and a driver - not cheap for sure, but I believe it'd be helpful for not only his family, but also his village. He turned out to be very friendly and chatty. It took us slightly less than one and a half hours to reach our destination from the resort.



It's the biggest supermarket on the island!
A source of fresh water.
After a bumpy ride, we reached at the village at the entrance to the coastal walk. After listening to the explanation given by the lady boss, we decided to take a speed boat to see one of the waterfalls that could only be reached by the said boat, followed by a guided trek from the end of the coastal walk back to the village. For such an arrangement, we paid FJD 70.00 (~S$45.65) per person, which is also shown in the price list at the resort.


Sitting in front was my amiable guide for the day.
We had to dodge the wavy branches.
That's the waterfall, which I can't remember the name (I think it's Wainicau).

After marvelling at the waterfall, we hopped onto the speed boat again to go to the trekking path that shall lead to the next one.



Yes, beware of ME! :P
He's used to walking without any footwear everyday. 

In order to reach the Wainibau Falls, you need to be able to swim. Alternatively, you can traverse the deep water by grabbing the rocky walls on either side. I was truly amazed by the crystal clear water, which gave me the opportunity to have the most refreshing swim I've ever had in my life thus far.


Cheers! That was my virgin experience swimming near and under a waterfall!

My guide and I! A friend of mine said we could do a toothpaste advertisement together.
After that, we had lunch packed earlier by the restaurant staff at the resort. Three of us shared peanut butter sandwiches, chicken wrap, raisin cookies, garlic potato chips and refreshing watermelon slices with mint leaves.


It was then time to burn the calories by trekking back to the village, which took us about two hours, including time for taking pictures.

That was my first encounter with the cat's whiskers plant!


Pandan leaves to make dessert, anyone?

Could you pass through this particular section of the trek without getting wet?


Alas, I failed, but I'd expected it right from the start. :P


Melon posing on the beach~



We encountered a few houses a few distance away from the main village at the entrance to the coastal walk. That was when I got to know that the people in the village eat seafood and vegetables on a daily basis, consuming meat only during special occasions, e.g. new year, wedding, death ceremony, etc.



Pikachu wanted to take a picture with the reared pigs.
We continued to enjoy the last part of the trek.



Erosion does create something artistic!
That's another waterfall - a mini one though.
Soon enough, we found ourselves back at the village where we realised the extent of the damage done by Cyclone Winston in February this year. Our contribution wasn't that big to rebuild the entire village, but hopefully it'd be significant enough. 

A school was under renovation at that point in time.


At the end of the trek, we were treated to a glass of aromatic lemongrass tea each, as well as custard cake. I felt that the latter could be sweeter, but I wasn't complaining.


We'd initially planned to see the more well-known Tavoro Waterfalls after the trek, but we gave up the idea as we've had a fulfilling experience at the less accessible Wainibau Falls. I had a good nap on our way back to the resort.

Comments

Popular Posts

CAN: Toronto Downtown

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls