FJI: International Date Line

Government Station Road, Taveuni, Fiji

Pikachu and Melon were less than 2 m apart, but they were separated by 24 hours. Today, I shall talk about the real International Date Line (IDL) that passes through Taveuni in Fiji. The currently established line actually skirts around Fiji rather than following the actual 180th meridian to avoid having two abruptly different zones within the country.


Instead of taking a cab, my BFF and I decided to walk from Aroha Taveuni even though it was a blazing hot afternoon. It took us approximately half an hour to reach the destination.

The hot and glaring sun!
As of now, there's a lack of signs on the island that point to the location of the IDL. As such, I shall write a mini guide on how to go there.

When you see this white-and-blue building, look for a nearby intersection.
Once you're there, hike your way up the Government Station Road.
Go up straight until you see the police station.
Across the police station is a field that's commonly used by the locals to play rugby.
This picture was taken on my way back, but basically there's quite an obvious path through the field that you should follow.
Soon enough, you'll be at the destination where you can take lots of pictures!
Don't worry, I'm not gonna spam a lot of photos of myself in this post. :P

Pikachu was on Monday, Melon was on Sunday and I was standing in between!


The last picture that I'm going to show you isn't related to the IDL. Basically, there was only one fuel station that I came across during my stay on the island, but without the individual pump machines that many of us are used to, I believe.


I was certainly filled with a great sense of accomplishment when I eventually managed to tick that off my bucket list, knowing that it's probably the only IDL you can be feasibly standing on, unless you go to the icy cold Siberia or that part of Antarctica.

Comments

Popular Posts

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218