CHN: Shenzhen Downtown

Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

Formerly romanised as Sham Chun, Shenzhen is a major sub-provincial city in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong. It saw rapid growth following the Chinese economic reform in 1979. To go to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, my BFF and I took the train to Lo Wu MTR station, which is the northern terminus of the East Rail line.


---

---

A little incident occurred when we were queueing to clear immigration at Luohu Port in Shenzhen. A huge cockroach fell from the ceiling and landed on my friend's head. How unlucky!

It's also possible to cross the border from Lok Ma Chau, which lies to the west of Lo Wu.


In case you haven't realised, Lo Wu is the Cantonese pronunciation of Luohu.



The five-storey Luohu Commercial City is said to be popular with Hong Kong residents for cheap counterfeit goods.


2012 was the Year of the Dragon.

Somehow, I always like the ambience of an old school shopping mall.
We made use of Shenzhen Metro to go to Lianhuashan Park.


Going to Shenzhen from Hong Kong somehow felt like going to Johor Bahru, Malaysia from Singapore.

Did Shenzhen Metro just took some stickers from Hong Kong MTR?
We alighted at Children's Palace metro station.

I miss going to a planetarium.


Lianhuashan literally means 'Lotus Hill'.


I really can't remember when was the last time I flew a kite.

Without looking at the sign and the Chinese words, do you understand what it means by "forbit to take tinder"?

It basically tells you not to start a fire. 
Let's go to the top of the hill, which is 106 above sea level.



Little did I know that I'd be met with a large bronze statue of Deng Xiaoping, the paramount leader of the People's Republic of China from December 1978 to November 1989.



As we were there in March, we enjoyed the pleasant temperature ranging from 16 to 22 degree Celsius.

It was rather misty that morning.


After a good morning walk at the park, we took the train to Window of the World metro station.



From the metro station, we walked to Happy Valley just to catch a glimpse of it. Given the limited time that we had, we only went to Window of the World and Splendid China.


The Venice Hotel Shenzhen (5*) houses a total of 375 guest rooms.

Happy Valley is a chain of amusement parks located in various cities in China. The one in Shenzhen was the first to be opened in 1998.

“Rainbows are made of small raindrops. Happy lives are made from acts of kindness.” ~ Amit Ray


That looks like a pretty huge KFC branch.


Playa Maya Water Park, one of the nine areas of Shenzhen's Happy Valley is modelled after the Mayan civilisation.

The water park is open for five months each year from May to October.


After walking to and spending time at Portofino, we took the train to Bao'an Centre metro station to check in at Mellow Orange Hotel.


There's a place of interest near Laojie (lit. Old Street) metro station.


That's Dongmen Pedestrian Street with a history that can be traced all the way back to the middle of Ming dynasty, which lasted from 1368 to 1644.


The bustling area is divided into 15 main streets.

A relaxing jazz club is where I want to be right now.

There was a time when my mother told me that she couldn't understand why would people go to a toilet-themed restaurant. She was referring to Modern Toilet Restaurant in Taiwan, which used to have a branch at Dongmen Pedestrian Street, but I think it's no longer there.



"Sorry for failing you, mum!" I thought to myself as I entered the restaurant.



That was probably the one and only time I saw a pink bathrobe in person.


I wonder if Pikachu and Melon were happy to meet their new acquaintance.
Did you know that a customer actually defecated in one of the non-functional toilet seats at a branch in Hong Kong in May 2018, causing everyone to be evacuated and the restaurant to be closed for two weeks?



Souvenirs, anyone?



The actual washroom isn't half as exciting, but here are two photos that I took when I had to relieve myself before the meal.



To follow the trend, I obviously had to order the chocolate ice cream for dessert, as did many other diners around me.



Ewwwww...
Have a look at the only two restaurants in Shenzhen that I wrote about in my food blog:
- Laurel Restaurant (Chinese)
- Modern Toilet Restaurant (Chinese and Fusion)

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Toronto Downtown