SIN: The Doraemon Exhibition Singapore 2022 [till 5 February 2023] (Part 2)

93 Stamford Road, National Museum of Singapore, Singapore
Daily: 10.00am - 7.00pm

Let's continue with Part 2 of "The Doraemon Exhibition Singapore 2022", which is the first global showcase outside of Japan since its first inception in 2002. As a quick recap, Part 1 showcases one of the three galleries that I went to, together with the gift shop and pop-up café. In today's post, we shall marvel at what the second and third galleries have got to offer.


---
SIN: Upper Seletar Reservoir
SIN: Bedok Reservoir
SIN: Pandan Reservoir

---

Two of the galleries at the basement level. As I stepped into the second one, I saw a compilation of the snippets of the anime.


The centrepiece of the gallery is "Final Weapon", a unique sculpture of Doraemon by Sebastian Matsuda inspired by "Doraemon: Nobita's Dorabian Nights".


Matsuda used colourful trinkets he obtained from markets around the world for his artwork.


Pega is one of the creatures created by Nobita in "Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan". 
Doraemon manga was first serialised in 1969. Four years later, Nippon Television broadcasted it as an anime.


楽 (raku, lit. ease) + Doraemon = Rakuemon

Sirens and Whale Demon appear in "Doraemon: Nobita's Great Adventure into the Underworld".

When the effect of the Shrink Ray wears off in "Doraemon: Nobita's Little Star Wars"...

Do you remember these two gadgets?

Have you ever noticed Dorami wearing not yellow, but pink Bamboo Copter?

I want to build my own castle using this gadget.

The following artwork is my most favourite of all. Watch the video clip to understand what it's all about.



Another truly captivating artwork has a reference to Doraemon's bell in "Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum".



Will there really be Doraemon in the 22nd century?


Last but not least, the gallery on the first floor focuses on the manga.

If Doraemon is your most favourite character in the series, who's the second one?


Doraemon is an earless robot cat who ears were eaten by a mouse. He cried so hard that the tears rubbed the yellow colour off his body, turning it to blue.



I wonder why Fujiko F. Fujio decided to stop drawing the chubbier version of Doraemon after a few series.
Only after learning Japanese that I realised the name Nobi Nobita might actually reflect his personality of being a carefree, indolent boy. Did you know that his world record of falling asleep is 0.93 seconds?



Literally meaning 'calm' or 'quiet', Shizuka is also someone whom I'd like to marry, I guess. She has a fear of frogs, though most likely not as much as Doraemon's fear of mice.



Suneo, the rich boy in the series, is self-conscious about his height as he's the shortest in his class.



It's said that the big bully's favourite food is stuffed bell peppers. I can't recall any particular episodes where Gian is enjoying them though. Can you?
  


Given one choice, which of Doraemon's gadgets do you want to carry with you for the rest of your life?


As a student, I used to daydream about having anki pan (lit. memorisation bread). I'm sure many of you did too.


Is your mother the kind who'll shout at you for being late to school?
The first 16 volumes of the long tales were illustrated by Fujiko F. Fujio himself. Following his death from liver failure at the age of 62 in 1996, the rest of the volumes were done by Shintaro Mugiwara and Yasunori Okada.



It's my second most favourite long tale because of the magical elements that fascinated me so much as a kid.


Just like the manga artist himself, I love the very first long tale the most. I can never forget about Pisuke.

Other Fujiko F. Fujio's works that I really enjoy include Obake no Q-Taro (Q the Spook), Pokonyan (Rocky Rackat) and Mojacko. As for the works of Fujiko F. Fujio's, my favourite is Ninja Hattori.



I suppose the original drawings on display are borrowed from Fujiko F. Fujio Museum that's located in Kawasaki, Japan.


Hydra, a reptilian monster, generally has between two to nine heads. 


I've learnt a lot of Japanese onomatopoeia by reading manga.
Learn about the five-step process of the making of a manga.


Do you enjoy drawing? I do, but unfortunately my drawing isn't particularly impressive.


I recall that sometimes I used coloured pencils to add colours to my Doraemon manga during my free time.

There's a replica of Fujiko F. Fujio work desk. Feel free to sit on the chair.

It's no surprise that Fujiko F. Fujio was a fan of science fiction, besides dinosaurs.


Here are the last few photos that I can share with you in this post.

I wonder if Fujiko F. Fujio had to seek a permission to come up with the Jack Beans gadget?

With Photoshop, there's no need for the Sightseeing Without Sightseeing gadget.

To end off, I just want to share that I used to cry a lot when I missed the anime on TV. That's how much I love Doraemon. Thank you for the memories!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls