JPN: Fujiko F. Fujio Museum

2-8-1 Nagao, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Daily: 10.00am - 6.00pm

Here's a surprise entry that I initially didn't include in the list of posts for the 2019 Tokyo trip. Opened on 3 September 2011, Fujiko F. Fujio Museum is dedicated to the work of the renowned artist most notably known for Doraemon, my no. 1 favourite cartoon character. I actually visited the museum back in 2013, but since I'm not sure when else will I have the chance to write about it, I've decided to come up with the entry today.

The museum is situated at Kawasaki in Kanagawa Prefecture, which is reachable from central Tokyo within an hour or less by train. My BFF and I dropped off at Noborito railway station.



We decided to walk from the railway station to the museum, which took less than 20 minutes.


There are familiar character statues along the way to lead you to the museum.


Have you ever dreamt of becoming a superhero like Perman?

There's a shuttle bus that you can take from the railway station to the museum and vice versa. Operating every 10 to 15 minutes, it costs ¥210 (~S$2.75) one-way per person.



That's just one of the multiple designs of the shuttle buses.
Outside the building, there are many umbrella locks. At that point of time, they looked rather intriguing to me.


Take note that admission tickets can't be purchased at the museum. They have to be purchased either online or from a machine called Loppi that's available at any Lawson convenience stores. At the point of writing, an adult ticket costs ¥1,000 (~S$13.05), a high school student ticket costs ¥700 (~S$9.15) and a child ticket costs ¥500 (~S$6.50).



Photography isn't permitted at the museum section, which features a reproduction of the artist's studio and his artwork. Fret not, you can take photos at other places, such as the reading corner.

Too bad I don't have dorayaki (Japanese pancake with red bean filling) to enjoy while reading.


I've never read Little Ghost Q-Taro, but I've played a classic Nintendo game on it before.

Why not check out one of the toilets? You'll probably need to use it once anyway, I suppose.



That tile can be found above the urinal, at least the one I was using.
The so-called People's Plaza has got a few tactile exhibits, especially for children.



I wonder why I didn't get myself a capsule or two.
There's a sign that indicates the direction of the artist's place of residence.


You can watch a short animation at Fujiko F. Fujio Theatre that's equipped with a 200" screen.


The animation that day featured both Doraemon and 21 Emon,
the latter of which was created a year earlier than the former.

Don't forget to take a photo with the handsome version of Gian at the Woodcutter's Spring, one of Doraemon's gadgets to exchange old items for new ones.



Quickly pose with Gian before he descends into the spring again!
There are ample opportunities for phototaking at the rooftop area.

Booby in the Perman series is a highly intelligent chimpanzee, but since he can't speak the human language,
he often uses objects and gestures to get his point across.


I believe Doraemon is turned to stone in Nobita's Great Adventure into the Underworld.

Pisuke is Nobita's only pet dinosaur that appears in the first volume of Doraemon's Long Tales: Nobita's Dinosaur, which was also released as the first ever Doraemon movie in 1980.


Perhaps you can get your wish granted at the What-If Phone Booth.


"Hello! What if all of us didn't have to work?"
If you had the Anywhere Door, where'd you go?



There's also a mini recreation of the playground that appears in the Doraemon series, complete with with the pipes.



We had lunch at the museum café. Do take a look at my food blog post for more details.


If I remember correctly, you should be able to request for the image of your favourite character.

Before leaving, we dropped by the gift shop to buy some dorayaki and anki pan (lit. memorisation bread) rusk. I did write a separate food blog post on those too.



For the uninitiated, Chinpui is a mouse-like alien from a planet called Mahl,
that comes to Earth to find a girl to marry the prince of its planet.
After all the wonderful moments of nostalgia, we left the museum, taking one of the shuttle buses to go back to Noborito railway station.


Given those alighting buttons, I suppose there are few bus stops in between where you can drop off.

Thank you for the 10-minute ride!
I also bought a Doraemon manga titled The Record of Nobita's Parallel Visit to the West, which I'd never seen before, to practice my Japanese language further. It's loosely based on Journey to the West, one of the Four Great Classic Novels of Chinese literature published in the 16th century.



Being at the museum made me shed tears of joy as I relived my childhood memories. To those who grew up with Doraemon and other series by the brilliant artist, whose real name is Fujimoto Hiroshi, I'd highly recommend visiting this particular museum.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls