MAS: Kinabalu Natural History Gallery @ Kinabalu Park

Kinabalu Park, Ranau, Malaysia
Daily: 9.00am - 4.00pm

After stuffing ourselves at breakfast at Balsam Buffet Restaurant, my BFF and I decided to check out the Kinabalu Natural History Gallery. It's a small, yet informative museum that gives a good introduction to the geology, flora and fauna, as well as ethnology of the regions surrounding Mount Kinabalu.


We paid MYR 3.00 (~S$0.95) each as non-Malaysians to enter the museum. Our Malaysian counterparts pay one ringgit less.


We had the museum to ourselves as we were the only guests that morning.


There are quite a number of natural parks in the state of Sabah.

Would you like to live at the mountainous region?
The very first section of the museum is dedicated to the rural way of life of the people at the region, in particular the Kadazandusun. For the uninitiated, Kadazandusun is the term assigned to the unification of the two ethnic groups of Sabah: Kadazan and Dusun.

You're allowed to touch some of the exhibits in the museum, such as the traditional musical instruments.


As we all know, the utilisation and management of natural resources are pivotal in rural areas.



Flora and fauna take up the most space of the museum.



Honestly, I dislike seeing ants in clusters as they always send me chills down the spine.

Lovely butterflies! <3


Which is your favourite?

The carnivorous pitcher plants~

The museum is also equipped with quite impressive displays of flora and fauna in different types of tropical rainforests.

Rafflesia arnoldii, nicknamed the 'corpse flower', is that huge, eh? :P



I've never seen a living armadillo with my own eyes thus far.

We then saw a laboratory-like setup at one of the corners of the museum.

Of forests, trees and the likes~


Be a scientist!

Actually I can't remember what are those...

The last part of the museum is on geology.



I think I've given all the knowledge on rocks back to my Geography teachers. xD


Such a cool artwork!

I know this is kinda random, but I was actually expecting to see some dinosaur bones. Haha... :P

Comments

Popular Posts

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218