GUY: Guyana Botanical Gardens

Vlissigen Road, Georgetown, Guyana

After a rather memorable experience at Guyana Zoo, my BFF and I explored the vast Guyana Botanical Gardens. It's said that the government of the UK set aside US$72,000 (~S$98,992.80) for the establishment of the park in 1877. An English gardener called John Frederick Waby spent 35 years landscaping the park.


While visitors need to pay a small sum of money to look at the animals in the zoo, there's no entrance fee to the botanical gardens.


There's a memorial clock dedicated to George Samuel Jenman, once a superintendent of the garden.

I wonder if that horse is a permanent decoration.
I mentioned about manatees in my previous post. Indeed, the park has got a few of them in the ponds outside of the paid areas of the zoo.



The ponds should've been cleaned more regularly though.

Some locals were trying to attract the manatees.

I did touch one of the manatees, whose skin felt thick and rough.

Well, I had to pay the price for stepping on muddy grasses.


Taking a leisurely stroll at the park proved to be a good de-stressing session, especially with calming post-rain breeze that not only soothed my soul, but also enhanced the atmosphere by inducing some gentle rustling of leaves.


There are lots of trees, but not many flowers around.

I was hoping for the fountain to work.

We reached a monument called Place of the Seven Ponds, featuring a 19-feet sculpture in the middle of a circular central pond and six segmented ponds in a radial pattern. Buried there were four individuals who made significant contributions to Guyana:
- Governor-General Sir David Gardiner Rose who passed away in 1969
- National poet Martin Carter who passed away in 1997
- Third president Hugh Desmond Hoyte who passed away in 2002
- First president Arthur Chung who passed away in 2008


There's a mausoleum nearby that was built for Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham, the second president of the country from 1980 to 1985.



We walked through a long, lonely path to leave the park from its southern gate to find a very special building.


As I was walking slowly, I tried to come up with lyrics for my own song.

Those are white flowers, right?
Would you believe me that I own a sports hall in Guyana? Stay tuned for the next post!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Toronto Downtown

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls