JPN: Kobe Oji Zoo (Part 1)

3-1 Ojicho, Nada, Kobe, Japan
Thu-Tue: 10.00am - 5.00pm (Mar-Oct)
                10.00an - 4.30pm (Nov-Feb)

Boasting a total of 150 different species of animals, Kobe Oji Zoo is a pretty awesome zoo that covers an area of more than 80,000 square metres. Although I haven't been able to confirm this, it's said that this particular zoo is the only one that has got both giant pandas and koalas in the Land of the Rising Sun.


---
---

The zoo is less than a 10-minute walk from Ojikoen train station.



The entrance fee is ¥600 (~S$7.85) per adult.
Junior High School students and younger need not pay a single yen.
A white peacock and a big group of flamingos were the first two species that my BFFs and I saw inside the zoo.



Did you know that peacocks were once a delicacy in medieval times?


I'm always amazed at how a flamingo can rest all its weight on one leg
and maintain balance at the same time.
Listen to their sound, will you?


Next, we went to the so-called Animal and Children's Land where you can pet some of the animals.


There's an old steam locomotive that used to be manufactured in large quantities to transport goods.



Ensure that you follow the regulations, alright?


Just like those animals, human beings should live together harmoniously.



Capybara, the largest living rodent in the world, is such an adorable creature.


As I was observing them, somehow I felt they were trying to avoid direct sunlight.
Quite a number of animals were taking a late morning nap.

Do animals dream, I wonder?

Yawn~

Do you find the following creatures adorable?

I've always wanted to have a guinea pig, but I haven't had any so far.


There's a goose called Gacchan that freely roams the area.



Take note that Gacchan, described as being "very fickle", can be unfriendly at times.
Let's go up to see other animals.



Can anyone enlighten me on this tree species?



Red pandas and giant pandas aren't really related, but they both eat bamboo.



My heart is still aching from the news of the deadly 2019 Australian bushfires that killed over a billion of animals. The koalas in Kobe Oji Zoo, however, are well taken care of in a safe place.



Would you like to be a koala that can sleep up to 18 hours a day?
From there, we made our way to see the bears, witnessing other animals from the feline family along the way.


The grumpy-looking Pallas's cat is native to the steppe regions of Central Asia.

Seeing it reminds me of Coeurl, an enemy from the Final Fantasy series.
The bears were pretty active, save for the polar bear that was too shy to go out of its enclosure that morning.


"Are you staring at my big butt?"

I'm not really a fan of primates, perhaps because I've seen so many of them every single day, if you know what I mean. Haha!


A wannabe karate master?


The curious-looking common marmoset is one of the so-called New World monkeys,
a group of five families of primates from Mexico, as well as Central and South America.

Look at this big guy!

Perhaps it's smart enough to wait for more people to gather before doing his performance.
 


Let's move on to the reptile section.


Lazing around~


I'm forever missing my late tortoise that looked similar to this one...


This seemingly lazy bump that you saw at the beginning of the post was drooling. Ewww!



I didn't expect that I'd be writing about the zoo in two parts, but looking at the number of photos that I want to share, I guess it's best that way. Part 2 will be up soon, so stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls