JPN: Inokashira Park Zoo (Part 2)

[Main Park]
Inokashira Park, Musashino, Tokyo, Japan
Tue-Sun: 9.30am - 5.00pm


Welcome to Part 2 of Inokashira Park Zoo that has been around since 1942, featuring the Main Park that's bigger in size compared to Lakeside Park that I've featured in Part 1. Why did I decide to show an image showing a picture of an elephant instead of the actual animal as the cover photo of this post? Read on to find out more.

Since my BFF and I had already bought our entrance tickets at Lakeside Park, we simply had to show ours at the entrance of Main Park to get in. As a recap, admission to the zoo costs ¥400 (~S$5.20) per adult.

The two parks are about 300 m away from each other.


Spare some coins or notes for WWF Japan, will you?

To the west of the entrance is an eatery and a gift shop, which we didn't go to.



Those oranges weren't exactly round.
It was unfortunate that we didn't get the chance to pet some guinea pigs, but I was happy to be able to see a few of them.


According to Animal Diversity Web, there are 13 commonly recognised guinea pig breeds.

Nearby lives a common barn owl.


Which of these animals do you fancy?

I'd love to try my hands at sheep shearing.

It must be enjoying its food.

I think most of the penguins were trying to hide from the sun.



I recall playing with rabbits occasionally when I was a little boy as one of my uncles used to keep a few as pets.



The zoo keeps quite a number of deer, which are natural residents of Musashino city.


Did you know that deer shed their antlers once a year?
I spotted a lonely canine that kept moving pretty fast. It decided to sit down after a good 5 minutes, thankfully, so I could take a photo of it.


I wonder if the two birds were observing the bat.



The star of the zoo was Hanako, Japan's oldest elephant, that passed on peacefully at the age of 69 on 26 May 2016.



I had a quiet moment looking through the artifacts related to the elephant, which was given by Thailand as a gift of friendship in 1949.


Tears welled up in my eyes a little bit as I browsed through the items.


Hanako used to live in Ueno Zoo before moving to Inokashira Park Zoo in 1954.


Directly facing Hanako's dwelling place is Hanako café.



In between viewing the animals, we got to enjoy the view of sakura (lit. cherry blossom).



Why not get some dango (Japanese skewered rice dumplings)?
There's a mini amusement park to entertain the younger ones.


That's quite a fat Pikachu ride.

That looks like a nice spot for a picnic.

That's the best photo of the macaque that I could get using my Samsung Galaxy S7. Anyway, I've recently got a Samsung Galaxy S20, so I should be able to share better quality photos next time.


We proceeded to the enclosed squirrel trail.


Minus all the visitors, it looks like a nice sanctuary for the squirrels.


Somehow this reminds me of my Pikachu when I let it lie on its stomach.
Our feet brought us to a particular section where we questioned ourselves whether we were really inside a zoo.

So, so serene...

It's an animal cenotaph.

There's a sculpture museum located at the northwestern end of the premise. We only went in for a short while.



Visitors are allowed to take photos of some sculptures, but without flash.
I've run out of animal photos to share.


To end this post, I shall share some photos of white sakura that we saw at the zoo.


So many people were taking selfies there.


“Keep your face to the sun and you'll never see the shadows.” ~ Helen Keller
There's a traditional Japanese house that we missed during our visit, which actually isn't that far from the sculpture museum. Take note that it's only open till 4.00pm.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Toronto Downtown