JPN: Japan Airlines JL723 (Business)

NRT-KUL (8h 5m)
Boeing 787-9
ETD: 11.05am (GMT + 9)
ETA: 6.10pm (GMT + 8)

There was only one reason why I flew from Narita International Airport in Japan to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia instead of Singapore straight away: the amazing deal by Alaska Mileage Plan. Alas, the airline has decided to terminate the so-called '25,000 miles trick' for intra-Asia routes with a stopover in October 2019.

Following breakfast at JAL Sakura Lounge at the satellite building of Terminal 2, my BFF and I made our way to Gate 98.

There are 40 gates at Terminal 1 and 32 gates at Terminal 2.
Anybody knows how many gates are there at Terminal 3?


Is watching airplanes go by your hobby?

The Business Class cabin was about 75% occupied that morning.

The cabin doesn't look as crammed as the Boeing 777-200 version that I experienced onboard JL36.


At the point of writing, Japan Airlines has got a total of Boeing 787 aircraft in its fleet.


A Boeing 787-9 aircraft has the same wingspan of 60.12 m as its 787-8 counterpart,
but in terms of length, the former is 62.81 m and the latter is 56.72 m.


The over-the-shoulder seat belt must be fastened during take-off and landing. 
 Let's have a look at the items that could be found on the seat.


Japan Airlines provides complimentary Wi-Fi service only to First Class passengers.


Upscale amenity kits by Masion Kitsuné are only available on longer flights originating from Japan.
I don't know why, but airline meals always excite me.



A hot towel was offered to each passenger before take-off.


As shown in the safety demonstration video was shown, always remember to keep your seat belt fastened even when sleeping.


Using the In-Flight Entertainment (IFE), I first played a game of mahjong, followed by watching Ralph Breaks the Internet.



In my opinion, the first movie, Wreck-It Ralph, is better.
While waiting for lunch to be served, I had a packet of rice crackers and a bottle of sake (Japanese rice wine). No, I actually had two bottles of it because one of the male flight attendants was so eager to give me another bottle upon finishing my first.


Here are photos of the Japanese meal. As usual, do visit my food blog for the review.

As I was taking this photo, I really couldn't wait to open the lid of the appetiser box.

Japanese main course: Grilled Ginger Beef and Simmered Mackerel with Miso Sauce

I vouch for the French, or rather, Japanese-influenced French cuisine. Alas, they ran out of the dessert for some reason.


French main course: Japanese Beef Sirloin Steak
After the meal, a cabin crew came by to offer a hot towel and a bottle of mineral water.



Afterwards, each passenger was given a JAL Shop pamphlet.


Let's do the mandatory visit to the lavatory.



I've said goodbye to my Puma jacket that's been with me for many years through thick and thin.
I managed to goof around with Pikachu and Melon before the cabin was dimmed.

Remember to always smile like them!

So far I've only had one chance to play with such a dimmable window.

Not yet wanting to take a nap, I dropped by the galley to see what snacks and drinks were placed there.


After taking a nap for an hour or so, I decided to watch a Japanese travel show, as well as a 2018 Japanese animated adventure fantasy film titled Mirai, which I really enjoyed.

Such a beautiful scenery of Miyazaki on the island of Kyushu!


The snack service commenced an hour and a half before arrival with hot towel service.


Would you like a Japanese interpretation of Chinese rice dumpling or a cup of ice cream?


Honestly, it wasn't that nice.
I also shared a cup of Champon de Sky, one of the variants of JAL original snack noodles.



BTW, I also had the following that I took from the galley earlier.


The last item received during the flight was the speedy immigration clearance card, a much needed one as I had to go to Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 to catch a flight back to Singapore with Jetstar.


We arrived slightly earlier than scheduled.
Thankfully, the waiting time for the luggage wasn't long. Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta, Indonesia certainly has a lot to learn.



The '25,000 miles' trick was good while it lasted; in fact, too good to be true, we all say. Oh well...

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls