CAN: The Canadian VIA2 (Sleeper Plus) (Part 1)

Vancouver-Jasper (19h)
ETD: 3.00pm (GMT - 7)
ETA: 11.00am (GMT - 6)

June 2019 saw me taking a sleeper train for the first time in my life. Much to my excitement, I had the opportunity to experience The Canadian transcontinental passenger train. Though I didn't go all the way from Vancouver to Toronto, I was satisfied to spend almost a day onboard the train to Jasper in the Alberta province.

After the long delay, my BFF and I were allowed to board the train at 11.15pm.


The train is clad in stainless steel.


We walked for about 7 minutes to reach our Sleeper Plus cabin.
We were assigned to one of the lower and upper berth seats of the cabin named Wolfe Manor, which had been made into beds by the crew due to the late departure of the train.

The berths are along the hallway, but with the curtains drawn, it was private and cosy enough for me.

An upper berth seat is cheaper than its lower counterpart as there's no window up there.

Each passenger gets an amenity kit containing two body towels, a face towel, a bottle of shampoo, a body soap and a pair of earplugs.

 

Let's take a look at the lavatory.

Next to the lavatory is a drinking water dispenser filled with hospital-grade water.


There's one shower room in the cabin.



'Twas a really good hot shower!
Below are photos of our berth seats during the day.

Our seats are just a few steps away from the lavatory.

Should you wish to lie down during the day~

The highlight of The Canadian is the panorama car where I spent most of my time to marvel at the the beauty of the Canadian Rockies. Take note that the panorama car is only available for the journey between Vancouver and Edmonton.

Stay tuned to photos of the scenery in Part 2!


The activity car includes a lounge at one end. It's a more convenient place to get to know more people than the panorama car.



During the journey, I read Reader's Digest and a travel magazine.
Upstairs is an observation dome.

It's equipped with 20 seats.


At the other end are more tables with a TV screen.

Challenge yourself by completing one of the jigsaw puzzles!


There's also self-service snack and drink bar there.



I had always dreamed of having a meal in the dining car of a train, and I finally did.



I took a peek at the kitchen early in the morning.



The Sleeper Plus cabins offer more expensive single and double private rooms.

Not all private rooms were occupied that day, so I could take a look at one of them.

I don't fancy the idea of sleeping on a bed that folds down on top of a toilet bowl though.

As for the Economy Class, the cabins are equipped with reclining seats.

Unlike the berth seats in the Sleeper Plus cabins, the Econmy Class seats have power outlets.

Meals aren't included for Economy Class passengers, but light bites and drinks can be purchased.

Taking The Canadian is the only way to see the country by train from east to west or vice versa.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Toronto Downtown