IDN: Gelora Bung Karno Main Stadium

Jalan Pintu Satu Senayan, Jakarta, Indonesia
Daily: 7.00am - 10.00pm

In the recent years, I've been trying to explore Jakarta bit by bit. With the MRT system in place now, I started toying with the idea of visiting places I wouldn't even think of going previously. It was thus my first time at the main stadium of the city, which was formerly known as Gelora Senayan Main Stadium.

My BFF and I dropped off at Istora Mandiri MRT station and walked a short distance to the entrance of the stadium complex.



I'd had no idea that the change of name didn't happen in the recent years, but in 2001. Bung Karno is the nickname of Soekarno, the first president of the republic.


I bet he has seen from somewhere above how Jakarta has transformed.
 

There's a peculiar structure facing the stadium. Can someone enlighten me what that is?



It actually kind of reminds me of the roof of rumah gadang,
a traditional home of the Minangkabau in West Sumatra
There are lots of entry points to the grounds of the stadium, but not all of them may be open when there's no event going on.

We went in from entrance no. 6.


There's a food plaza where food and drinks are sold when an event is on.
 

What sports do you excel in?

I've never tried javelin throwing before. Have you? 


Canoeing is one of the very few sports that I enjoy and excel in.




We walked past the indoor swimming pool.


Keep looking for an opened gate to get closer to the main stadium, which was first opened just before the 1962 Asian Games.



Initially, the stadium could seat up to 110,000 spectators, but the seating capacity has been reduced twice. After the last renovation for the 2018 Asian Games, the seating capacity has gone down to 77,193.


There's a statue of Arjuna, a hero of the Indian epic Mahabharata who is famous for his archery.

 
There are some eateries if you need to get your stomach filled, one of which is the original branch of Bakso Lapangan Tembak Senayan that's well-known for its local meatball dishes.



Oh, how I've missed playing baseball!



Did you know that the stadium is projected to host the final match of the 2021 FIFA U-20 World Cup?


The stadium has also hosted concerts by the likes of Deep Purple, Linkin Park and Bon Jovi, but to name a few.

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls