SIN: Grand Hyatt Singapore [Phase 2 of Reopening]

10 Scotts Road, Singapore

On 3 July 2020, the Singapore Tourism Board announced that it'd start to grant approval for hotels to allow staycations as the country moved to Phase 2 of Reopening. I found myself back at Grand Hyatt Singapore for my very first staycation during this COVID-19 pandemic. I've previously come up with a post about my stay there before a few years ago.


---
SIN: Grand Hyatt Singapore [Phase 2 of Reopening] <YOU ARE HERE!>

---

Grand Hyatt Singapore is located next to Far East Plaza in the bustling Orchard shopping district.

The hotel building was built in 1971, and it was last renovated in 2006.


Distance markers are stuck on the floor to ensure that guests are 1 m apart from each other.

Don't be fooled by the photo of the empty front desk area that I took in the later part of the day. There was quite a long queue before the official check-in time at 3.00pm. In fact, upon checking in, I was told that I had to wait for another half an hour or so before I could get into the room on the 11th floor that I was assigned to.



Hand sanitiser dispensers have been installed at prominent places throughout the hotel.
The keycard isn't as plain as the one I was holding on back in 2016.


Each of the Deluxe Rooms is 54 square metres big with a separate work-cum-living room.


Even though the sofa isn't too comfortable, I almost fell asleep there while watching TV at night.


There were no hardcopy compendium and in-room dining menu.

I can't believe I actually forgot to check if there was anything inside the fridge.



I was intrigued by the oolong tea infused with roasted almond and vanilla.
Take a look at the view outside the window.


It appears that they grow their own herbs. For which restaurants, I wonder?
To be frank, the bedroom looks rather plain.

I like the plush goose down pillows.


The bathroom is equipped with a bath tub. There's a powerful rain shower too.


Making use of the bath salt available, I had a relaxing warm soak in the evening.

Are you team tissue paper or team bidet spray?
Here are the bathroom amenities. I don't particularly like Balmain products as they smell rather waxy to me.



The hotel has got quite a number of function rooms.



Many of the rooms were left open for air circulation, perhaps?
Checking in using SafeEntry, a digital system implemented by the Singapore government for the purpose of contact tracing during this COVID-19 pandemic, is required at not only the entrance of the hotel, but also the walkway to the gym, spa and swimming pool, as well as any of the restaurants. Anyway, during my stay, the use of the gym and the swimming pool was on a first-come-first-serve basis as there was no reservation system put in place. I'm not sure if that has changed.



Before entering the gym, I was told to put on my mask at all times, except when doing cardio exercises. Because of that, doing heavy weights made me short of breath quite easily, so I decided to spend most of the time on one of the exercise bikes.

A staff member mentioned that only 18 people were allowed inside the gym during this period. 


As you can see, some equipment were switched off to allow for social distancing.

For the time being, the maximum number of people allowed to use the swimming pool at any given time is 25.



The swimming pool was empty at 7.30am.


Oasis is the name of the poolside restaurant that offers both a la carte and a la minute buffet dining options.
On the day of check-in, I had a sumptuous afternoon tea at 10 Scotts. The following day, I was also directed to 10 Scotts for a la carte buffet breakfast as self-service buffet remains suspended for the time being. Previously, breakfast buffet was served only at Straits Kitchen. However, due to the need for social distancing, the hotel opens up 10 Scotts to sit guests for breakfast as well, with the menu at either venue being exactly the same.


I was seated on the table to the right for the afternoon tea.

Spending about an hour and a half, I truly enjoyed the quiet breakfast.
It was yet another satisfying staycation at Grand Hyatt Singapore. I guess I'll be back again someday.

Comments

Popular Posts

CAN: Toronto Downtown

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls