SIN: InterContinental Singapore [Phase 2 of Reopening]

80 Middle Road, Singapore

Happy New Year, everyone! Let's hope that 2021 will be much better for all of us. More than just a luxury hotel that's well-loved by many, InterContinental Singapore (5*) is a heritage landmark in the heart of Bugis. It's the the flagship hotel of the InterContinental Hotels Group in Singapore. I had the opportunity to stay in one of its Heritage Suites with Club Lounge access last year.


---
SIN: InterContinental Singapore [Phase 2 of Reopening] <YOU ARE HERE!>

---

The hotel first opened its doors to the public in 1995. The last renovation, which cost a whooping S$26 million, was completed in April 2016.


I stepped into the hotel via the entrance from Bugis Junction shopping mall.

To think about it, I actually didn't pass through the main entrance of the hotel at all during my stay.


What's your favourite Chinese tea? If I were asked to pick one, I'd go for tie guan yin.

As I had my staycation on a weekday before the holiday season kicked in, it was obvious that the hotel wasn't busy, even more so due to the ongoing leisure travel ban. Without me asking, the amiable front desk lady who handled my check-in offered a late check-out till 2.00pm. Thank you!

I just couldn't take my eyes off the elegant lobby area.


I was assigned a Heritage Suite on the third floor.



I wonder how many litres of hand sanitisers have been used worldwide this year?
The Heritage Suites are located along open-air corridors in the Heritage Wing.



I wonder if the illumination colours at night remain the same throughout the year.
Each Heritage Suite comes with a small courtyard.

I suppose those chairs serve more of a decorative function as people probably won't really sit on them.


As usual, here's a photo of the plain keycard that I got, which can also be used to unlock the door to the Club Lounge.


The Heritage Suite, which is 55 square metres big, is divided into four sections. First up is the entrance hall.


In addition to coffee pods, four varieties of TWG tea are provided.

I hardly use bathrobes. What about you?
The living room is equipped with not only a comfortable sofa, but also a work desk. Frankly speaking, I only watch TV when staying at hotels in the recent years.




Of course, the spacious enough bedroom also sees touches of Peranakan heritage.

Thanks to the very comfortable mattress, I had one of my few very deep sleeps there last year.


Who likes to check yourself out in front of a full-length mirror?

With regard to water pressure of the rain shower, the hotel passed the test with flying colours.


The bath tub looks rather plain for such a suite.


Double sinks, as well as a weighing scale, are always welcomed

The Heritage Wing preserves the style of shophouses from the 1920s as an integral feature of the hotel's design. To clarify, the actual shophouses have been demolished, so what we see today is the recreation of the facades built to the same scale as the original.



The hotel has got 11 flexible function spaces.


Set up for solemnisation?
Fancy luxuriating at the charming The Lobby Lounge of the hotel?

Christmas, please don't go away~


Hailing from Tokyo, Japan, Chikuyotei is well-known for unagi (Japanese freshwater eel).


Though not during the staycation itself, I've had dinner once at Ash & Elm.


That's a pretty elaborate decoration to attract customers.

Have you ever dreamt of becoming a chef?
I've always enjoyed exploring the interior of a hotel.


Why not stop and look at the Peranakan paraphernalia along the walkway?


Man Fu Yuan was lauded by Singapore Tatler in 2018 as one of the five best Chinese restaurants.
When the hotel was approved for staycation by the Singapore Tourism Board, it didn't immediately reopen its Club Lounge. I was fortunate that it was already in full operation during my staycation, where I had breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés.



Such a peaceful private enclave steeped in Peranakan culture~


Besides the three meals, you can also enjoy coffee and tea there throughout the day.


Check out the ornate sink in the washroom. 



Twice I went for a dip in the old-school swimming pool.

The flagship building of the National Library Board is 16 storeys tall.

The depth of the main pool is 1.4 m.

There's a sheltered jacuzzi too.
I didn't see any staff manning the pool bar, but I saw someone scanning a QR code and eventually got his drink delivered.



I hit the gym in the morning before going for breakfast.


It's sad that my stamina has been going down recently.


There's a yoga corner.
Unfortunately, the sauna was closed during Phase 2 of Reopening. I'm not sure when it'll be operational again.



Of all the hotels in Singapore that I've done staycations at, InterContinental Singapore is the winner when it comes to service. From check-in to check-out, I truly appreciated the impeccable service rendered by the staff. 

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls