CAN: Lake Louise Gondola

Whitehorn Drive, Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Daily: 8.00am - 5.00pm

Within Banff National Park, I was having a dilemma deciding between Banff Gondola and Lake Louise Gondola. I opted for the latter in the end, which is the gateway to one of the largest ski resorts in North America. I was in for a big surprise as I wasn't expecting snowfall at all in June 2019.

During summer, typically from 17 May to 14 October, there's a free shuttle bus service to go to Lake Louise Gondola from Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

The first shuttle bus departs from the hotel at 8.40am.

Seating is assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis with priority given to gondola ticket holders.

I recall it was a mere 10 minutes' drive from the hotel to the gondola site.


Such a charming rustic building!


There's a café offering light bites and beverages.

At the gondola counter, I exchanged the online order printout with the actual tickets. We went for the Ride and Breakfast combo that's priced at C$41.90 (~S$43.05) per person.


Before taking the gondola, we made our way to Northface Bistro to have our buffet breakfast. I've written a post about it in my food blog.



Including us, there were at most ten guests when we entered the restaurant.


DIY waffle!


Black bears are commonly sighted from the gondola, and sometimes grizzly bears too. However, we didn't spot any that day given the rather unfriendly weather.


My BFF bought a pair of mittens from one of the shops there.



It was really chilly outside as it was drizzling.

I really admired that charming building.

Bear's Den looks like a nice pub, but apparently there are mixed extreme reviews about it.

There are some information panels that give information about the various national parks in the Canadian Rockies and the bears.



Time to ride the enclosed gondola!


I borrowed my BFF's little moose soft toy that he bought in Jasper if I'm not mistaken.

Up, up and away to an elevation of 2,101 m in 14 minutes!



There are open lifts too.


Honestly, I was staring at the snowfall with my mouth agape.
As we were reaching our stop, I kept asking myself whether I was there during summer or winter.



Unfortunately, the walking trails were closed due to the weather. As such, we only went to Lake Louise Wildlife Interpretive Centre, which shall be the focus of the next post.


I like that quote: "Feel your world change one moment at a time."

Electric fences alert!

I suppose the lifts to the even higher altitude are only operating in winter for those who want to ski.

'Ice Ice Baby'~



In total, we spent about an hour and a half up there.



I was hoping to get a glimpse of a bear or two upon going down.


I didn't ask, but I wonder if the staff would allow us to ride on one of the open lifts that afternoon.


Thanks for allowing me to play with snow!


Alas, no bears spotted...

I certainly prefer Lake Louise Gondola to Jasper SkyTram. What about Banff Gondola, anyone?

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls