SIN: The Fullerton Hotel Singapore [Phase 2 (Heightened Alert)] (Part 1)

1 Fullerton Square, Singapore

Not being able to go overseas has spurred me to explore more hotels here in Singapore. At last, I went to The Fullerton Hotel Singapore (5*), the heritage hotel situated near the mouth of Singapore River that I'd always been wanting to go for staycation. It was a pity, however, that my stay coincided with Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) that dampened the experience quite a bit.


---
SIN: The Fullerton Hotel Singapore [Phase 2 (Heightened Alert)] (Part 1) <YOU ARE HERE!>

---

Dining in wasn't allowed during Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) to curb the spread of COVID-19. Walking through the lifeless Boat Quay in the afternoon to reach the hotel, I saw an interesting cloud formation.



Housing 400 guest rooms, the impressive building that was erected in 1928 reflects the full-blown colonial confidence.



At that point of time, besides checking in using SafeEntry, body temperature still had to be taken before entering the building.



Be greeted by Robby and Lizzy, the bear mascots reminding you to keep your mask on and stand a metre apart from one another during the current COVID-19 pandemic.

The masks can be purchased from the gift shop.


I was told that the hotel had less than 20% occupancy that day with many staycay-goers cancelling their booking. I'd initally made four bookings, the other three being for Hotel G Singapore (4*) and Mandarin Oriental Singapore (5*) that I decided to cancel with a heavy heart, as well as PARKROYAL COLLECTION Pickering (5*) that I kept because of the amazing deal that I got. 


The late Ng Teng Fong, a real estate tycoon, was a firm believer in the virtues of frugality and hard work. In 1960, he founded the Far East Organisation, which owns the hotel till date.

Check-in was fast, and the lady at the counter was really courteous and friendly.
My booking was for a Premier Courtyard Room with a late check-out at 6.00pm, but I received an upgrade to a Heritage Room located on the seventh floor.



As the hotel is a heritage building, guest rooms are uniquely configured. Each Heritage Room is between 38 to 45 square metres in area.

I believe I got a smaller room, but no complaints at all!


Do you use the same number combination every single time?


Each room is well-stocked with snacks and drinks with not-so-friendly price tags.


The complimentary mineral water packages look like those of coconut water, no?

Spot the inedible item!

The room comes with a balcony as it faces outwards. Some rooms face inwards with the view of the atrium.


Would you agree that sipping on a cup of coffee or tea at a balcony is one of life's greatest pleasures?


The first local branch of Bank of China (BOC) was established in 1936, while that of Maybank was in 1960.


The bathroom is pretty spacious.


Amber Empire by Atkinsons, a heritage brand established in 1799 in London, the UK, made its debut at the hotel in 2018 in conjunction with the 90th anniversary of the building.

I truly enjoyed the powerful water pressure.

Should I consider such an automated water closet for my new house?


It was a pity that the gym was closed during Phase 2 (Heightened Alert). I can't remember if the spa was operating.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to being a gym junkie.


The swimming pool is open fron 7.00am to 10.00pm daily. At that time, access was limited to a maximum of an hour and a half per room per day.

As you can see, the water was slightly heated.


It was nice to have the swimming pool to myself from 8.30pm to 10.00pm.


Enjoy the views of the two bridges.

Anderson Bridge was built in 1910, while Cavenagh Bridge (below) was dated to 1870.


Of course I had to go for another round of swim the next day.



I always need to get a tan.
Not surprisingly, the sauna and the steam room weren't in operation. 



The room rate came with breakfast, as well as S$80.00 dining credit that I used for in-room lunch and afternoon tea since it wasn't possible to dine at any of the restaurants housed inside the hotel.


For a 5* hotel, the breakfast was disappointing.

Pikachu and Melon asked, "Would you like to join us for tea?"
There are a few shops inside the hotel.


It looks like an eager sommelier is always ready to help you.

I really hope that we won't need to go through another round of no dine-in rule.



I'd originally wanted to use the dining credit at that elegant Chinese restaurant helmed by Chef Leong Chee Yeng.
Let's head downstairs, shall we?


Is this symmetrical enough for you?

“Politeness is the flower of humanity.” ~ Joseph Joubert
There are 88 koi (lit. carp) living inside the pond. In the Chinese culture, 88 is a special number signifying abundance and prosperity.

You may want to take a look at koi feeding that happens daily between 5.00pm to 5.10pm.


The hotel has got three ballrooms.


Which of the three is your favourite? Mine is the one of the right.


Did you know that The Straits Times was established in 1845?
The General Post Office used to be the flagship tenant of the heritage building, occupying the main hall and two other floors.



As I took a lot of photos during the staycation, I thought it'd be better not to upload too many in one post. Stay tuned for Part 2!

Comments

Popular Posts

TWN: Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Puyuma) 218

CAN: Super 8 by Wyndham Niagara Falls

CAN: Niagara Falls